- What is something God has been teaching you through your Bible reading this week?
- What is one truth or “take-away” from the sermon that you found particularly challenging/convicting/helpful?
- Eli was cursed because he cared more about honoring his sons than honoring God (2:29). In the list of your life priorities, what are a few of the most important things to you? Do any of these things come close to rivaling God in the significance you give them in your life?
- Eli’s passivity towards his sons’ behavior and towards his temple responsibilities brought judgment from the Lord. What responsibilities has God given you? How can you guard against being passive in those areas?
- In 1 Samuel 2:30 God says to Eli, “...those who honor me I will honor, and those who despise me shall be lightly esteemed.” How and where have you seen this verse true in your life on either side of the equation? (Keep in mind that the material blessings in the Old Testament are not extended in the same way into the New Testament.)
- Take time to pray for yourself and for others at GCC, that we would not be passive in our God-given responsibilities and that we would have a testimony of honoring the Lord and not showing contempt for His worship.