+ Application Questions
- Read Isaiah 40:3-5. In John 1:19-23, John the Baptist claims to be the voice Isaiah speaks of. Why do you think he uses this text to explain who he is? Consider John 5:44-46. What can this passage reveal to us about John the Baptist’s answer?
- How does John’s use of Scripture inform the way we should read it, apply it, and proclaim it?
- John says, “Among you stands one you do not know.” Since the Pharisees were likely familiar with Jesus of Nazareth, why does John say this? What does he mean?
- Based on the above question, what does this teach us about the nature of salvation (See John 3:6-8; 6:44)?
- If someone were to ask who you are, how would you describe yourself to them? What Scripture passages would be helpful in describing your purpose?