- What is something God has been teaching you through your Bible reading this week?
- What is one truth or “take-away” from the sermon that you found particularly challenging/convicting/helpful?
- When God spoke to Jacob, he responded by putting away all of the foreign gods (idols) that were in his household.
a. What are some culturally accepted “idols”? (ie. work, leisure...)
b. How would a believer recognize idols in his own life?
c. What are some idols that you could see your own heart being drawn towards? How can you guard against this?
- In verse 5 we see God’s protection over Jacob. When was a time in your life when you recognized God’s protection over you?
- In verses 9-15 God reiterates to Jacob (Israel) the promises He’d already spoken to him and to his father and grandfather. What is a lesson that God has had to remind you of at various times throughout your life?
- Take time to pray for yourself and for others at GCC, that we would rid ourselves of anything that acts as an idol in our lives and to ask God to protect us from anything that might hinder our spiritual journeys.