+ Application Questions
- What is something God has been teaching you through your Bible reading this week?
- How has last week’s sermon on speech been resonating with you throughout this past week? Have you had any specific circumstances when the Lord allowed you to apply a truth from the sermon to your life?
- Are there areas of worry that you have in regards to finances? How does the reminder that God owns everything encourage you?
- What are some wise or unwise ways that you have earned money in the past. What are some wise or unwise ways that you have spent money in the past?
- If someone were to look at your spending habits, what might they say are some of the most important things to you?
- Do you know of anyone who seems to do a good job of glorifying God with the way they steward their money? What things do they do that are a good example to follow?
- What are some ways in which your money habits reflect a focus on temporary happiness and self-reliance? In what ways do your habits reflect a focus on eternal joy and dependence on God?
- What is one truth or “take-away” from the sermon that you found particularly challenging/convicting/helpful?
- Read James 5:1-6. What sinful ways did these particular rich people use their wealth? How does this compare to how you use your wealth?
- In what ways might you be like the rich people in this passage? In what ways might you be like the oppressed?
- What truths in James 5:1-6 can be an encouragment to you if you are being oppressed, or treated unfairly?
- What does James 5:2-3 reveal to us about the nature of earthly riches? What are some ways you have seen earthly riches fail someone or do them harm?
- What does James 5:4 reveal to us about the nature of God?